Blankenburg Castle is an ensemble consisting of a large and small castle and grounds. Covering 107 hectares, it is amongst the largest and oldest of its kind in Saxony-Anhalt.
With a few interruptions, Blankenburg was a secondary residence of the dukes of Braunschweig-Lüneburg from the 17th century onwards. In 1707, the countship of Blankenburg was elevated to the status of a principality of the Holy Roman Empire and transformed into a small independent residence. Blankenburg Castle, which was first mentioned in a document in 1123, underwent numerous alterations over the centuries. The early 18th century extensions were planned and carried out by Hermann Korb. Work on laying out the Terrace Garden – comprising the Prince’s Garden House which later became known as the Small Castle – began in 1718. The essential Baroque features of the garden, including a fountain, sandstone figures, vases and clipped hedges, have survived to the present day. The Hill Garden, which is separated from the Terrace Garden by the town wall, consists of a flight of steps, two fountains and a viewing platform. Laid out in the early part of the 18th century, it was extended to include the “rose corner” and the areas near the town wall in the late 19th century. The Hill Garden and Tea House were refurbished along with the town wall and Prince’s Tower in 2001.
The Pheasant Garden, established around 1700, was redesigned several times from the middle of the 19th century. The project entitled “Redesigning the Historical Blankenburg Pheasant Garden” has exposed the original structures. The legend surrounding the pheasants has been given artistic expression by the ODIOUS group.
Barocke Schlossgärten und Parks in Blankenburg (Harz)
38889 Blankenburg (Harz)
Stadt Blankenburg (Harz)
03944 - 2898